Activities conducted by the Buffer Zone Unit support the overall mission and goals of Hustai National Park. Goals specific to the Buffer Zone Unit include:
- Educate local people and local communities about Hustai National Park Trust’s mission and goals and their implementation.
- Implement community-based conservation.
- Develop community-based tourism.
- Provide animal husbandry “best practices” training to help increase the income from a smaller number of livestock.
- Provide training on developing small businesses to help diversify economic opportunities for local people.
- Provide small and medium-sized low-interest loans to local people to help create income sources other than livestock.
- Introduce secondary school students in the buffer zone to conservation and environmental protection concepts.
- Reduce and prevent environmental offenses through community education and assistance.